Hybrid Systems Australia (HSA) is capable of the design and installation of Battery Energy Storage Systems, also referred to as BESS. In March 2017 HSA together with Contract Power Group purchased a 176 kVA ABB Power Store Battery and Inverter system from ABB, which includes 98.2kWh of Samsung batteries. The installation and commissioning of the ABB Power Store is to be completed in November 2017.
The advantages of incorporating a BESS to a Power Station Asset include:
- Greater protection against large load spikes;
- Grid/Power Station stability;
- Optimized Generator fuel burn;
- Increased Generator efficiencies;
- Reduction in Power Station spinning reserve; and
- Added protection in the event of a Generator shutdown or failure.